Jan 17, 2015

Double Chocolate Snack Cake

I LOVE baking. I learned from the BEST. My mom was one of 18 children, born into a strong faith-centered Catholic family, who knew what it meant to live off of the land. Dairy farmers and gardeners, they made EVERYTHING from scratch. So passed on from generation to generation, I learned at an early age how to cook and bake. So that's a good thing, and a bad thing! But what I love the most is finding recipes that I can adapt and modify to fit our clean eating lifestyle.  Take this snack cake, for instance. The original recipe calls for white flour, sugar, and canola oil. I was curious to see how this would turn out with making a few simple substitutions, and I am pleasantly surprised!

When you're in a pinch, wanting a quick easy dessert, this does the trick!


So here's how:

INGREDIENTS
1 2/3 C. whole wheat flour
3/4 C. honey or agave nectar
1/4 C. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. water
1 C. ground flax meal
1 tsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. Semisweet chocolate chips or cocoa nibs

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients in an ungreased 8X8 square baking pan. Stir in remaining ingredients until well moistened, except chocolate chips. Sprinkle chips on top. 

Bake 35-40 minutes or until center comes clean with a toothpick. Cool on wire rack, makes 9 servings. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment